Saturday, April 22, 2017

March

What did I do new today 😀:
Remember those good old days while I was in school I used to have a small diary to write down happenings of the day - feeling nostalgic and just thought will pen my thoughts for today. Some other day I do plan to put snippets from every year that I have a diary for - I am sure my siblings will have a good laugh looking at it - they will be able to see the reflection of a preoccupied me 😃
So without rambling on further, about today, I decided to cook a meal today - and have set the same goal for the next month 😃. Today was mixed veg sambar and boiled potato - haven’t fine tuned the process really so wasted some time 😂 - lessons learnt - 1. dhaal doesn’t cook fully when kept with rice in rice cooker
2. Always better to have a three stack vessel in pressure cooker for veggies, dhaal and kozhambu/sambar veggies
Also continuing the cooking topic while I am at it, here’s the recipe for coconut burfi that I tried out last weekend:
1. Scrape coconut with scraper (or) cut pieces of coconut from the kernel and shred it in a mixer
2. For one cup of coconut, you need to use an equal amount of sugar
3. Powder the sugar in mixer so it’s easy to melt and crystallize
4. Heat a thick bottomed vessel and add a tablespoon of water to it. Then add the powdered sugar and keep stirring till it becomes syrup consistency
5. How to check for sugar syrup consistency: take a drop of the liquid sugar and drop it in a glass of water. The hot liquid should settle down at the bottom in a spherical shape - if it disintegrates or dissolves, that means the syrup is not yet ready. Repeat this process till you get your syrup proper 😀 may seem a complex process but not really so 😀
6. After this just add the coconut and stir well for about 15 minutes, time might vary, just ensure the mixture is not too soft or too hard
7. Sprinkle some readily available elaichi powder to the mix and spread it in a plate greased with ghee (need to have the plate ready before)
8. When the spread has cooled down a little, make cuts in it as per the shape you want the final product to be 😀
9. Let the spread cool down for some more time and then you can pull out the pieces gently and serve with some snack 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment

2016 recollect

Looking back on 2016 in my online world :-) Best of 2016 song playlist: 1. Mei Niagara - 24 2. Maya nadhi - Kabali 3. Thalli pogadhey -...