Saturday, April 22, 2017

chakka paayasam :)


My cooking experiments continue :)
started out ambitiously to make elai adai.
Had bought chakkai (pala pazham/jack fruit) a couple of days back at a roadside shop. 
Yesterday started the prepration - sauted the chakkai nicely in nei (ghee) for about 15 minutes and then added a little water and let it cook well for 5 min. Then added powdered jaggery to it and mixed well and kept aside to cool. Refridgerated this mix overnight so that it soaks in jaggery well.
Elai adai preparation is techincally simple:
1) first you need to cook rice flour in boiling water add a dash of salt to it mix well and take it off from the stove
2) Then you need to grind the cooked chakkai mixed with jaggery along with a little coconut as needed in a mixie
Then all you need to do is stuff the chakkai mix in a flat wrap of rice flour and let it steam like idli for 7 minutes.
But in reality this turned out to be a disaster for me :-\
First the rice flour didn’t come out in the required consistency so that it can be patted well to form a wrap and add stuffing to it!
Second the chakkai paste was not thick enough to be stuffed!! I tried to add apple and rice flour and grind it to make it thick, but still did not work out :-| 
So my devil brain worked fast and I decided to make a paayasam out of this to salvage my pride and my hard work
So what I did was, heated a kadai and heated nei in it and added some cashews. Once roasted well added the chakkai apple paste to it and added a little water. Luckily I had some cooked fluffy rice available and I added a handful of that. Then added some cardamom powder to add flavour to the paayasam. Finally rounded it off by adding a couple if glasses of milk.
Yaaay! Paayasam turned out to be tasty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

2016 recollect

Looking back on 2016 in my online world :-) Best of 2016 song playlist: 1. Mei Niagara - 24 2. Maya nadhi - Kabali 3. Thalli pogadhey -...